Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

2/9/2025 - Starts

I missed blogging a few activities but the past 2 weeks have been uneventful as I was on a work trip and then winter viruses moved into our house + Evie had a dental cleaning. By the time I took her out on Sunday, she was SO READY to work.

Goal - 3-hour Starts practice

Weather - upper 50s, gentle breeze, partly cloudy

  • Laid 3x short 2 leg starts around the school in the early afternoon in small lawns away from active soccer fields. 
  • I added a few scent pads as MAM suggested - Start Flag - 5 steps - Unbaited Scent Pad - 5 steps - Baited Scent Pad - walk thereafter. I think this helped her, though the eating on the 2nd SP broke her rhythm a bit and then she'd spend time searching for track again. Next time I'll do only 1 food drop in SP or unbaited.
  • Track 2 went down to a bowl with drainage ditches - I know the swirling wind and possible animal corridor was a challenge to her but she was drawn to the article.
  • On 3rd track, I messed up because I knew the turn was at a forked tree but in running the track, there were several forked trees along our path! (I turned at the last one so it wasn't something I noted in laying the track). I kept holding Evie from forward progress and she got frustrated and I eventually found Leg 2's lineup and let her do her thing. Leg 2 went down a hill, through a muddy water patch before some mulch on a playground. When we went to run the track, there were kids playing at the playground (Evie LOVES kids - she's the official bus stop mascot) which definitely pulled her attention but she was dedicated to getting back to work and finishing. A good distraction for her to work through!
Though each track was same age, the tracks each presented a different challenge based on terrain / distractions which I liked. I will repeat this age again on Starts but stretch out the legs a little so I can let line run more before stepping out + will adjust scent pads. I liked her focus going from car to start flag today.

After we finished Starts, Evie hauled her butt back to the car where I kenneled her for a few min and decided to put in a few short VST tracks (see next post)

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:





Comments

Popular Posts