Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

2/15/2025 - VST practice

Track 1 Goal- Keep food spacing as of last track (W16F8) but make track significantly longer with a stretch of vegetation. Track run @15-20 min age, 260 yards total (!) with 40 veg, 220 non-veg
~260 yards
  • Very good start
  • In locations with water draining, I put extra food after getting through it. She definitely got pulled a little by water pad towards downhill but quickly corrected each time.
  • After Turn 2, it was in a tricky geography with several quick changes. It was tricky but she worked it.
  • I put the vegetation stretch after the longest asphalt length. I could feel an immediate change in drive like "Oh thank goodness! This is easier!!" I placed an article here because I wanted to give her a rest/reward after such a long asphalt haul. When she found that article she plopped down with confidence on the article.
  • Her vegetated turn was good. Getting off the island back to the asphalt needed a little thinking but when she caught the track, there was certainty in the line and she was reeling to go.
  • Last turn wasn't as clean but she gave LOS and found her jackpot on next leg. I think after going over 200 yards she was tired at this turn. 
  • I was really proud of her on this track!




Track 2 Goal - Increasing food drop placement with slightly more age (W30F15, 30 min age, shorter length than Track 1)

125 yards

While laying track in the middle of the bus lane, a car needed by so I took 3 steps left, then back to track and dropped and extra article there to mark the dead-end location. Because this was somewhat close to the turn, I dropped another article after the turn for a bonus reward.
  • It started raining/wintry mix 10 min before running the track (glad I made Leg 2 on a nice lineup because my water line was gone!) I think this affected her start - not as clean as Track 1 today.
  • Once she started, she was clear on the line and had nice pull.
  • Apple just before intermediate article #1 drew her off track but she returned to work. Tennis ball by intermediate article #2 was a distraction. There was a broken pencil near start that drew her attention too. I think these will be a big part of VST training / working on this.
  • Articles on this track were not as good - she pointed or paused but was hesitant to down on wet ground
  • Pattern and age were ok with the rain - want to repeat this pattern with age in non-rain conditions



Comments

  1. Nice Jen!! Looks like you used HITT on 1, but not on second. Or maybe rain covered it. Either way she did very well. Agree with you that article indications need work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts