Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

02/09/2025 - VST Practice

It's been a hot minute since we worked non-veg so I decided to throw in a VST track after Evie finished her Starts practice today.

I double-walked a U in the parking lot (water spray 1st walk, food drops every 5 on 2nd walk) with start and end articles. The U went over a mulched curb as well. We ran it fresh and I had no clue how it'd go since the last time we did non-veg it was hot + she was tired and distracted which turned into a hot mess.

Track 1 = Pink



  • STRONG start and she had nose down w/ pulling
  • I kept leash very short
  • Turns confused her a little but she was able to work it with short radius. I added a few extra cheese pieces as a jackpot after the turn
  • Given her nose down pulling and forward momentum, I thought the food drop could be spaced more.
Track 1 was a lot better than I expected and she clearly had fun so I laid a 2nd track with food drops every 8 steps.

Track 2 = Yellow



  • Added an open angle turn and went up on sidewalk. 
  • Approached start at an angle. She pulled to start article, enjoyed her reward, and then shot down Leg 1!
  • Clear change in behavior when the mulched island on her left ended on Leg 1. She looked around, did a shake-off, and then went back down Leg 1
  • The 90* R 1st turn was a bit more challenging to her. She overran the turn and showed LOS but then didn't immediately start searching for a turn. She got a little frustrated but I helped her through. When she made the turn, she got a Good Girl from me and quickly found the next jackpot.
  • She paralleled the spray ~12-18" to the left for a little bit - ?
  • LOS at Leg 2 w some initial confusion but then she searched and found Leg 3! The searching happened quicker and with less frustration on this 2nd turn.
  • At end article, I had put chicken ON the article so she helped herself before downing. (Will keep chicken to my hand next time)
  • Food drop every 8 also seemed easy for her so will start spacing this out a little more with the double walking/hydration.
Overall very tickled with what she showed today given she's not really done much VST.




Comments

  1. Woohoo! I’m training both too….we should meet, now that your teaching activities are less!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts