Search This Blog
Follow along as Jen and Evie (Bond's Midnight Eve TD) train for TDX and VST
Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
12/22/2024 - Woods & Obstacles
No video to accompany but took Evie out for a planned track @ 2 hr 45 min age with several obstacles: woods entry & exit and "bounce off" woods. Total track ~ 380 yards.
When I was track laying, I set down an article in the woods and a loose dog ran over, jumped on me, then took off with the face mask! Ugh. I begrudgingly did not run after it as I was actively track laying and put down a new article.
After the woods exit, the track went across a soccer field with a 45* angle towards another patch of woods. I put a flag at the base of the "bounce off" tree and then set the next leg at 45* away from woods (90* angle at the "bounce off").
Start: A little fringy at the start but on the busiest soccer field and standard behavior for her on this field. She settled in nicely towards the end of the first leg.
1st turn: Beautiful & confident
1st article (Leg 3) - I placed my green crocheted square on the soccer field directly in line with the 3rd crepe myrtle. When she tracked across this, the article was gone (boo! I loved that one but learned to crochet last month so will be able to replace it). Surprisingly, Evie DOWNED exactly where the missing article would have been! She got LOTS of praise and chicken.
Woods entry - Took it one bush over (about 2' away) and corrected immediately. There were some brambles where I had placed woods entry so I don't blame her.
Woods article - She *pointed* article and I had to prompt the down but she did it quickly when asked.
Woods turn/exit- Both dead on. Took the line out of the woods HARD across the field
Woods "bounce off" - She *hauled* to the exact tree where I placed the flag, sniffed around about a foot into the woods in a small 5' radius, then caught the next leg that bounced off tree and took it hard!
End Article - I tucked the leather glove under a soccer goal corner because it was windy. When we went to run the track, 2 boys were playing on the field and 1 was actively in the goal. She gave them a glance as we started approaching their area but remained focused on track and downed for the slightly hidden article. Good girl!
Overall thoughts:
- Age was EASY for her (2.5 hr). She was acting as if it was freshly laid
- Downing at the location of a missing article 💓💓💓. She's not had this except when an end article has been taken so was so proud of her!
- Bouncing off the tree line - Was unexpectantly clean. It was really cool to see her handle this puzzle
- Articles - Overall good but dang it if she would just stop pointing articles in the woods!!
- I think I will start working on a pickup item which may eventually shape into a retrieve since she is a bit particular about downing in woods
- Starts with higher age
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps


Comments
Post a Comment