Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

11/16/24 - Sat Class TDX track

Goal: Obstacles/ woods and woods entry

3 turn track in back soccer field at Holy Ridge with L1 parallel to woods, L2 entry into woods, L3 left turn down horse trail,  L4 left turn to exit woods back to field. 

Kept age to 60 min since that was crisp earlier this week - wanted the puzzle to be the obstacles rather than age. Marked turns so I could really watch her behavior difference in woods.



Start: Fantastic walkup, waited for start article indication, and then she was hauling 

1st turn: clear LOS, overshot the turn but she went correctly to the wood line and we walked back 

Woods entry: As we walked back, she was searching the wood line intently. She was clear when she found the entry but was hesitant and looked back at me like "Is it allowed now for real?" (still fairly new for her). I quickly supported her entry decision.

Woods tracking: Clear, as easy to read as in the field

Turns in woods (2): 1st one she snapped the left in rails. 2nd left she went about 3 ft past turn but hooked in and corrected immediately 

Articles in woods (3): I asked Leigh to put them about 10ft after woods entry and woods turns to reinforce her choices.
  • 1st woods article - Sock - She stopped and held point.  I didn't ask for the down because I wanted full positive time just after the mild hesitancy to enter woods.
  • 2nd woods article - Leather gardening glove - she passed over it and I held her line until she searched.  This took a bit from her and she only paused over it so I asked for the down. 
  • 3rd woods article - coin purse in Gulley before woods exit - she head checked it but she didn't have much one to go and as I got to her she went back and I asked for the down again.
Woods exit: She exited right at the clip. As I expected, she searched the wood line for a min before committing to go forward into the field. Her forward wasn't strong and it was because she needed a pit stop. After she took care of business,  I called her back to the wood line and watered her.  She then snapped back to work and HUSSLED to the end article.  She stopped to look for the article which was about 3 ft away. She paused at it, looked at me, and downed.

Overall super happy with her track today since X is still pretty new to us. Age and pattern (food every 20) was no issue. 300 yds no issue of course. Great drive and she (and I) clearly had fun of there.  

Things to work on: 
Articles, specifically in woods. She points article in the woods and downs in the field.  Since she wasn't crisp on indication in the woods, I want to do lots of articles in the woods (maybe even article track in woods?)

Next outing: article track

Videos from the field showing Leg 1/2 to woods and Woods exit/end article








Comments

  1. Sat was an awesome day for you both. So proud of your line handling and her commitment. YES to 'opps I dropped something" in the woods, YES to an article track in the woods - just a straight line to start, a hungry pointer and yummies - a recipe for success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can SO do an article track in the woods for her. I’m happy to put it in early tomorrow AM, we will interrupt class to run it at the time you want.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts