Goal: Loose goal of getting out and doing something fun to continue new kennel training. My initial plan for a stair step at soccer fields wasn’t going to work because of active games so I headed to a different section for some VST work.
Location: Robious Athletic Fields /Middle school yard
Weather: 64*, no clouds but shady to sunny across track, light breeze (10mph)
Age: 20 min (Didn't want her getting anxious in kennel)
Pattern/Track Design: S5W15F7, 4 turn track. Kept reinforcement high d/t leaves + newer VST stuff
Articles: pink fabric mask @ start, yellow fabric mask near end after long sidewalk stretch, grey knit cap after 90* turn to finish it out
Total = 255 yds (30, 120, 30, 60, 15)
Track Video:
None today - Tracked solo and video cam battery needed a charge
Walkup:
- Very measured/focused getting out of car but then she got excited about nearby crows
- Got her refocused with some food
- She pulled right up to start flag and wanted to get rolling w nose down, approached at a 45* angle and she found Leg 1 beautifully
1st leg:
- Good pull, focused, right on top of the track
- Enjoyed the food drops
- Heavy leaf litter did not cause difficulties like I thought it might
1st turn:
- Good! Confidently took it but then came back to rule out and then took it again.
Crossing sidewalks/2nd turn:- After a long stretch under trees in dirt/leaf litter, she had to cross over and then follow a sidewalk. After an initial pause, she did a small search and then followed track nicely.
3rd turn:
- This was a 90* turn from one sidewalk to another with guardrails.
- Clear LOS at turn
- She searched left out into bus loop and was unsatisfied w search
- She then walked forwards past the turn. I walked her back and she checked the bus loop again, finding a piece of plastic trash which she eventually decided to indicate. I paid and encouraged her to continue.
- She ended up taking the 90* parallel to the sidewalk in the grass then saw/smelled a food drop on the sidewalk but didn’t want to climb the rail so I guided her back down and onto the sidewalk.
- From there she blazed up the 60 yds to the next article which she downed for beautifully
Final turn/ end article:
- This turn was on the sidewalk at the building which limited her search.
- She went past the turn to the building (I think the breeze was rolling the scent to the building) but once she dead ended, she turned around, found the final leg and downed at the article beautifully.
- She was confident and sassy the whole walk back - loved this! It was a bit of a challenge w sidewalks and buildings but I think I supported her well and she clearly enjoyed today’s puzzle.
Next outing/goal:
- Itching to get in some X work but there are still copperheads out and about in our neighborhood. I think working through leafy earth yard + some challenges with variable surfaces was good for today. I had short age and high reinforcement but the track was not hard at all for her so I will lengthen pattern and increase age to 30-45 min w a similar style track to give her more sidewalk/non veg turn work.
Dog Dad has not been running her this month due to injury so she was VERY happy to go work with Mom today. Dog Dad had a fire setup and ready for her when she returned (her favorite way to end a day).
Happy girl!
Comments
Post a Comment