Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

9/2/2024 - LDW easy / fun track

Goal: Kennel training - Evie hasn't ridden in the GK yet and was still nervous about going into it so I wanted a short ride to nearby field with a fun "Man, I'm amazing / Wow, that was worth the kennel trip" attitude from her.

Location: Robious Athletic Fields

Weather: 69*, scattered clouds, light to moderate breeze (10mph), 59% humidity

Age: 15 min (Didn't want her getting anxious in kennel)

Pattern/Track Design: S5W30F15, 2 turn track

Articles: Sock at start flag, loaded pill container (novel article)


Total = 210 yds (93, 40, 77)

Track Video:


Walkup:
  • She was excited but very measured/focused
  • She downed at the start article on her own (somewhat unexpected - through TD, this was often coached)
1st leg:
  • Pretty on top, slightly left at times but only by 12-18 inches
1st turn:
  • Not pretty. She showed LOS and took R turn initially then circled back (normal for her) but as she circled back, she was watching a soccer game on adjacent field.
  • She then took the R 90* leg and I was letting line out but hadn't stepped. Right as I was about to follow, she stopped (This was my error completely - I should have supported her better here)
  • We then spent 3 min working this turn:
    • She  wanted to take a 45* open angle to the right but I did not support that option. Queue major frustration by her including sitting down with her back to me and whining. 😏
    • I used my tools: offered water and encouragement, walked backwards on L1 to put her on the turn, pulled in line for a smaller search radius
    • She didn't seem interested in getting her nose down.
    • I was getting ready to throw an article but changed my mind and instead threw some food 5 yards down L2 on the track when she wasn't looking. This did it! She got her nose down to find this jackpot and that re-energized her. I quickly followed and then she confidently plowed down L2, T2, and L3.
2nd turn:
  • Much better - did her typical routine of LOS - quick check down actual next leg - small circle out and around to check other side - then took the turn confidently.
  • She was close on the line for final leg as we came down a small hill to the next field. 
End article:
  • I let out some extra line down this leg and she handled the end article great - Nice bowed down on her own 
  • Novel article for her (plastic pill container) but I had loaded it up with a few pieces of cheese. I'm trying to start incorporating some non-fabric/leather articles as we get back to things for this fall.

Next outing/goal:
  • Given Turn 1 today, I want to train turns on our next outing with a stairstep probably. Hoping today was just an off day but definitely need to keep an eye on this. I would like fundamental turns to be crisper before I go back to adding some age/duration on tracks. It will be critical when we restart on woods/etc.


Comments

  1. I think I’d blame today on first day back! Once she recovered, it looks like she nailed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts