After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today. I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods. Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed. She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
3/9/24 Class - Rainy woods
2 turn track laid by self in woods at Cool Water
Track laid @ 9:04, run at 11:05 - 2 hrs age
Weather was cool (~45*) and raining
Food ~q25 steps (used higher reinforcement as I'm getting adjusted to woods)
Intermediate article
New obstacles for Evie included logs, branches to go under, and creek crossing
Notes:
As Mary Anne advised, will keep an eye on her starts bc she definitely took more time than TD where she goes blazing hot from the car
I kept leash short (6-10') mostly. She did want to sniff in this radius but it was clear to me she was exploring but not tracking. Overall, she tracked very well and was right on top of food drops throughout Track.
1st turn (90 R): She cut it by about 2' but was tracking hard
Intermediate article: she stopped, turned to me, POINTED and downed. She had been trucking along so I was caught off guard because I had forgotten about the intermediate article
2nd turn (Open L): Was a hard left on the backside of the oak and across the creek. She was dead on and leapt across the creek more gracefully than the 3 humans behind her. I had initially put a food drop 1 step past Creek for immediate reinforcement but then realized she would probably bolt after eating that about the time I was trying to navigate the creek so I picked up the food and moved it about 10 steps further down. #SelfPreservation
Snacks: Shortly after creek she found a natural bonus pile of deer scat but after a mouthful I called her off and she went back to tracking nicely
Woods exit: The exit was to the left of the dark trunk and she was dead on again. At treeline, she searched L then R then went out into the field to the final article (15 steps out). She may have been searching for the article? She was most off the track for these 15 steps (about 3 ft L) but corrected in and POINTED the article initially. I helped get into the down and fed. This pointing indication is an interesting change... Still not sure if I want to keep this or not.
Overall, very happy with how she did. Woods are still pretty new and is like her perfect agility course. She's going a little hot but I imagine with age and other changes, she'll slow some. Age, turns, and obstacles seemed to all be non issues today. Will need to keep an eye on starts, esp in woods when she needs some time to acclimate.
Comments
Post a Comment