After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today. I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods. Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed. She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
3/1/24 - Into the Woods We Go!
Location: Huguenot Park - Used an area with less underbrush (still plenty of briars to tangle me though)
Weather: 55*, overcast, slight wind
Age: 75 min
Pattern: S5 after turns, W50F25, 2 intermediate articles (1 baited)
Track Map: ~ 220 yards
Track Video:
.Apologies for the nauseating motion - clipped cam onto my vest and will clearly NOT be doing that again
Notes:
Evie noted my boots were on when I came back to get her and her nose dropped to the floors in the house and started tracking. She was VERY excited to go today after a few days off.
Great start - she didn't want to down but I did a swoop grab of the article and plowed ahead with her
Loved her first turn into woods (track turn #2) - she was very confident with that
In watching the video, I noted that she pointed at the start and 2nd article - she's never pointed the articles before - a new woods effect?
She investigated a decaying head carcass (rodent?) that I hadn't seen initially but went back to work when I asked
The sand was a challenge for her - it definitely held scent differently but she was good on the dirt path and then turning into the woods again
Did better with baited intermediate article than unbaited intermediate article - will continue to watch this
Age didn't seem any issue for her - will increase next time
She did take note of the food drops - should I follow a set pattern in the woods or just use food drops after potential challenges?
I laid the 2 intermediate articles after turns into woods to had extra reinforcement
Her confidence and sass after the track were adorable
Things to work on:
Line handling continues to be a thing for me to work on in the woods as the line gets tangled in briars. I have gaiters to wear next time which will help me getting caught some too. Should I work her on a shorter 20' line for TDX/VST (also thinking about dragging line with cars passing)?
She's still moving pretty quick through the woods but I imagine as the tracks age some and path includes more challenges, she'll (hopefully) slow a bit and track more with the brain. I just want to make sure she's not missing the intermediate articles. I got a bit tangled after the last turn and that allowed her to meander past the 2nd intermediate article unfortunately but I got her to come back for it.
Summary - She seems to love the woods as much as the field. Will continue similar tracks but increasing length and age (slowly). Woods are fun but glad we'll be able to continue introducing challenges with VST when snake season starts.
Comments
Post a Comment