Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

2/22/24 - 1st Try w Woods, Change in Cover, & Obstacles

Goal: Start introducing obstacles, woods, and changes in cover with high reinforcement and low age to see how she'll react

Location: Huguenot Park

Weather: 60*, low winds, cloudy and setting sun

Age: All track run 20-30 min 

Pattern: All legs in woods had food drops every 3-5 steps, field pattern S5W25F13

Track 1 = pink, Track 2 = yellow, Track 3 = blue

Track 1: 2 leg w/ 90* L that enters woods, article ~20 feet into woods
  • Right before we ran the track, a dog walker came past all over the track so her behavior was more investigatory than usual
  • Clear LOS at turn - initial search by woods, then circled back to the right side of turn and seemed confused (this is where video clip starts)
  • Then she took a hard look at woods, was a little high on the wood line, and then entered EXACTLY where I went in (immediate verbal encouragement from me)
  • Did a swing to the right in the woods rather than slight left angle but then came back
  • She wrapped the line around a tree in her search and unfortunately both the line and I were completely tangled in bramble. I loosened the line around the tree and let her go forward without me
  • She found the end article and downed! I threw the cheese at her from where I was caught in the bramble
  • I gave her a hold command at the article and walked back to untangle line/myself (gaiters on order now!).
Track 2: Straight track from field, across a 6' dirt/gravel path, and into woods
  • Initially distracted by lots of fun scents along the wood line (dogs, etc)
  • This track, she seemed less "But I CANT go in the woods, Mom!" and more "Hey let me sniff this stuff first then I'll go in"
  • Once she decided to search in the woods, she took the initial food drop and was much more nose-down and tracking along the leaf litter - I liked her focus to the track
  • Hopped over a small low-lying branch without hesitation
  • Found the article and paused but then sniffed around a bit - took another minute of her meandering around (somewhat along my walkout) but I kept leash length and eventually she came back to down on the article with some encouragement
Track 3: Was going to lay another field to woods track but then saw a different setup that may be fun to try - a narrow grass path between culvert and parking lot. The track crosses an elevated dirt/gravel path and then turns left (at blue post) down and out of a 2' culvert and then crosses a short grass 3' path, followed by a short dirt/gravel 3' path and then out onto a field.

  • The elevated path seemed to trip her up initially but she worked through it after LOS and eventually went up and across it.
  • I love how she worked the elevated path with bridge - she was clearly looking to recover the track (~0:40 on tape). At 0:57, she had a great head snap and galloped across to the grass. Not sure if she actually tracked on the path or just detected the track ahead on the grass and skipped ahead.
  • Turn: Evie did classic Evie behavior and did an initial look left, then checked out and around to the right and then whooshed through the dry culvert.
  • Short width path seemed to be un-noticed after the culvert
  • Great article indication at end

Thoughts/Questions
  • In the past, I've come to this park and really only looked at the field and lineups - moving past TD, I see the same space in a whole new way - it's fun to think of challenges/problems to work!
  • I imagine circumstances where the down may be uncomfortable/a bother in woods (briars,etc). Should I stick with the down or start working on a retrieve indication?
  • I laid woods with higher reinforcement pattern - I wanted this to be highly rewarding for her the first time in the woods. I am assuming I can do the higher reinforcement initially and then stretch it out similar to TD training. Throughout the different tracks, I placed a food drop just after some problem she had to solve (enter woods, cross the culvert, etc)
  • I scoped out a woods area in another area of the park that was free of underbrush - will try to another time. If in dense underbrush, I'll plan to take my 6' lead.


Comments

Popular Posts