After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today. I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods. Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed. She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
02/11/2024 - Soggy and Aged Starts
Goal: 2-fold - aged starts from 30 to 120 min + tracking in rain
Weather: 54*, steady rain tapering to light rain, unfortunately it stopped raining just before we ran the tracks
Cover: VERY soggy/wet soccer field grass with some standing puddles
Track map: Pre-planned on iPad so I could ensure good walk-outs since I double-fouled the track I laid for Anne last week ๐
Took my Rite in the Rain notebook out to draw real maps with lineups when I plotted
Notes:
Plotting in the rain is a great way to ensure nobody uses the fields while they age :)
There was a pair of Canadian geese at the parking lot/top of hill overlooking Track 4. They honked at Evie when she got out of the car and of course Ms BirdDog was interested but then you could see her brain adjust and she pulled me past them so we could go tracking - love her drive!!
Track 1 - Run at 30 min, Scuff 5 at start and after turn, walk 5 then scuff 5; No food
Some initial investigating after a confident start, then after she checks L and R of track, she hauled down to the turn
Stopped and sniffed at turn and then very nicely took the turn dead on the leg
End Article: Paused for a few seconds over the glove then decided it pays to lay on soggy ground
Track 2 (3:00-5:35) - Run at 55 min, Scuff 5 at start, Scuff 5 out of turn, Single food drop on 2nd leg
I initially lined her up the wrong direction, so she told me it went 90* left and then I realized she was right and let her take it. My bad...Laid several tracks today and got turned around. Her start was good but I held her back
Leg 1 went between 2 giant puddles and you can see her deviate a bit as the scent drifted but then she picked it right back up
She noted the clip and then sniffed around the turn for a few secs then took the turn nicely
After the scuff, she lifted headed and dashed around a little bit then when she crossed the track, a beautiful head snap and hard tracking down the leg
A nicely placed food drop was a few steps after she re-engaged so that was nice reinforcement
End Article: She initially noted it, went over to explore another scent, then came back (she seemed to be searching the scent bomb - the glove was SOAKING so I imagine the rain had an impact on the scent bomb). After a shake off, she re-engaged and lunged for the glove with a down!
Track 3 (7:39-10:12) - Run at 90 min, S5W50F25
Downed on her own at the start article :)
On Leg 1, she started fringing about 3 feet left (standing water on field) but the 1st food drop was right after she corrected (the food reinforcement karma was on point today)
This field had a lot more standing water than the other field which had Tracks 1&2 - Between the increased age and scent dissipation, I could tell she was working so so hard! Really loved her drive and commitment today
Downed at the Clip!
She re-engaged nicely after clip feed and took the turn really well.
End Article: She noted it, paused and looked away for a second, then chinned it. I started to say Good Girl but she popped her head up and stared me down. Then she caved and downed on the muddy field, lol.
Track 4 (11:16-16:36) - Run at 2 hr 10 min, S5W20F10
Great start! Checked one direction for a few steps, came back, then confidently took the leg
I gave her some praise any forward movement she took after working L/R and trying to find leg, especially as we moved through puddles
She downed for the turn clip again! After she restarted, she sniffed at the turn and then went beyond it
There was a rolled up piece of paper just past the turn and she kept indicating it so I fed (I thought this was the better action since we want excitement for articles ahead of trial, even if it wasn't mine) and after she indicated it again, I picked it up and told her to return to tracking. Her initial investigation of the article was different than my articles - more exploratory of the scent and unsure if she should down initially. An interesting observation
I was hyperaware that our Canadian friends were watching on the hill and was curious if the galley would get noisy. They did...right as she was working the turn...Then a man started walking his lab past the field...She was interested but ultimately valued the work over these environmental distractions
After I picked up the trash and the geese quieted down, she came back towards me, found the turn, and took it. The second leg had a lot more exploring and uncertainty but she was *working*.
End Article: She initially passed it by a few feet and to the left but had a pretty quick head lift and air sniff before she turned back and downed at the article
Wrap:
Overall, SUPER happy with a lot of what I saw today: High drive and commitment, using her brain to work the hard conditions (age, rain, environmental distractions), and excellent article indications.
The standing water was something we haven't had a lot of practice with but I think she worked it well given everything
Girl was TOAST for the rest of the day after this outing.
Plans for the week: Plan to keep it light as she did fabulous after having a week off while I was in London - she seems to be fresher/more excited with less practice.
An article track mid-week
Class Saturday morning (Judi's choice for what we run)
A short exercise at Tanglewood Park when we get down to Winston for the trial on Saturday. I'm planning on maybe putting in 2 short starts, run at 30 min and then an article track to give her practice at a novel location with new regional field scents ahead of the trial on Sunday.
She sounds so ready! Make sure you don’t leave her best self on the practice field…..
ReplyDelete