After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today. I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods. Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed. She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Class Day 12/30
470 yd blind track today at Judi's field. Grass cover changing from frozen to frosted to wet depending on shade / sun coming over the field.
~ 1 hr age with trial setup: laid by Judi @ 5:40pm night before and rewalked 1 hr before we ran the track
I think this was Evie's first time with a 2nd flag on leg 1. She definitely took note of it like "Who put this here?!?" and went right back to work.
2 pieces of food - I think on Leg 3 and 5. She skipped 1st food drop but took 2nd one.
Great, confident start. She investigated but did not indicate the start article (she has been better about start articles recently) but she was so dang confident and ready to go that I didn't want to push her to indicate and let her run down Leg 1.
Great 1st turn
I got tripped up at 2nd turn - she showed me several times and I'm sure Judi was about to walk up and smack me in the head :) She was much happier after I quit anchoring and followed willingly for the remainder of the track
Leg 3 ended at a turn near woods. She paused and listened for a bit then went back to work nicely.
Final leg went up and over a hill, ending downhill to article. She started slowing down and Betty made an observation that she was possibly getting the end article scent bomb rolling up the hill and started exploring near the end.
I had to coach the down at the end article today but she was certainly at it and not continuing forward.
Overall, Evie did beautifully and I need to remember that I.Do.Not.Know.Where.The.Track.Goes :) Follow willingly and watch for profile. We then got to observe a master class from Betty/Seren on their track - bravo!
We'll continue this in future classes. Judi suggested article track for next practice and I also want to do a stairstep.
1/4 Update - Poor girl's had a week again. I went to go take her out after work mid-week and she pulled a hamstring or other muscle and was not putting weight on it. Got her to the vet and she is walking better on it now - no issues per vet. She was also due for her annual vaccines so she's been curled up in a ball passed out. I'll get her out on Friday which I'm sure she'll be thrilled about :)
I love it when someone hears what I say! Hope you have an opportunity to do that article track, a stairstep, and perhaps a blind 2 turn. Remember, trust your dog. Sometimes they will be wrong, and while that sucks…it’s tracking. You both looked great on Saturday! Learning is HARD! Please remember that……at VCU….
I love it when someone hears what I say! Hope you have an opportunity to do that article track, a stairstep, and perhaps a blind 2 turn. Remember, trust your dog. Sometimes they will be wrong, and while that sucks…it’s tracking. You both looked great on Saturday! Learning is HARD! Please remember that……at VCU….
ReplyDelete