Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Breezy Stairstep (Jan 10)

Location: Midlothian Village Park

Cover: mowed grass, soggy and muddy after yesterday's monsoon
Weather: 50* and cloudy; humidity 41%, winds ~16-20 mph
Pattern: laid per stairstep exercise with no food on last 3 legs
Age: 70 min
Length: ~350yds



Notes:
  • Very windy today and ground saturated
  • I put flags before each turn so I could really focus on her LOS and indications. Also gave me a clue as to which direct the wind was swirly while she was working a turn
  • Evie had strong drive to get on the field and a good start (no down at start again
  • 4th turn was by far the hardest for her. It was at the base of an embankment and in a muddier area. Looking back at the plotting map, this was the first turn without reinforcement. She worked this corner the longest but we eventually got through it.


  • When at 2nd to last turn, she maybe wanted to cut the diagonal and skip last 2 legs to the article? I held her and then she returned to tracking the leg we were turning to.
  • Last turn - loved how she worked the fence! Reminded me of the TDX group when their dog is assessing where to enter the woods. She also explored the fence edging near the article
  • End: Noted the article and continued to explore. Finally went back to get it
Next up:
  • For sure need to throw an article track in next after 2 tracks without her auto-downing after she had been so good about it. She tends to be a bit prissy about downing when the ground is yucky.
  • Want to redo this stairstep at a younger age and see if she takes the turns more confidently. Will also try to setup for success where the back leg isn't against areas where the scent may roll differently. I would like this to be much crisper in terms of her LOS then confident go for next leg.


Comments

  1. I think i’m seeing a pattern here. Does she indicate LOS, and then take that as an opportunity to cruise around and see what’s happening? Let’s put SP back in, perhaps one per leg….20+ yards past each turn…and see if she finds sticking the track worthwhile. If you DONT think that’s what I’m seeing, please speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree on this. It seems she wants to explore then back to tracking. Last spring this was all much cleaner so will put in some SPs to see if we can re-establish track drive on turns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree on this. It seems she wants to explore then back to tracking. Last spring this was all much cleaner so will put in some SPs to see if we can re-establish track drive on turns.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts