Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Article Tracks + Stairstep Track (Jan 21)

Working to get in some tracking activities ahead of my trip so we did double duty today. I laid a stair step and then brought Evie out to do 2x article track while it finished aging.

Article Tracks

New indication motivator: Hand pulled white chicken from deli! Man, she thought this was out of the world amazing as evidenced by the progression in the two article tracks. By the ~7th article of 10, she was running to articles and downing in 1st track. By the second run through, she was GALLOPPING to next article and downing (not so much tracking but given the goal is to work on article indications, I'll take it!) My hope was that by doing this BEFORE we ran the stair step track, it would carry over into the main track practice. The hardest article for her was a small, brown leather piece but she handled wood and plastic pieces fine and easily handled all fabric pieces.

1st run of article track:

2nd run of article track:


Stairstep Track

Weather: 27*, sunny, breezy 6-13 mph

Cover: mowed soccer field green/dead grass. Note: Ground was frozen solid! Couldn't even get a flag in to stay at the start

Age: 70 min

Track map: (laid with scuff pattern per class page) Only 2 food drops included. One on a downhill to next field when we went past bleachers and the other after making the non-scuffed turn.



Video:

Notes:

  • Start wasn't awesome. I couldn't get a flag in the ground bc it was so dang frozen. She was highly distracted by crows on the field at the start. We waited them out and then started but as you can see in the video, she had beef with one. It riled her up a little when she continued the track (I could tell she was a bit frenzied but thankfully she chose to carry on with work) but after that she was tracking well and made next turn on rails.
  • On 4th leg, she navigated some frozen water culverts well but then overshot next turn. I took the 5 steps back and she caught the track and kept going.
  • Before final turn, she rounded back and wanted to go to the woods area with bleachers. It's always a major draw for her but after I told her to leave it, she came back, grabbed the track and nailed the finish.
  • Some moments of really really good tracking with some frenzied exploration - I'd give her an A- overall
Something super cool I noticed at the finish - After feeding a LOT of chicken on the end article, I tossed some off to the side a few times to get her to reset and see what she'd do. She would initially stand up, and then you could see the wheels turning as if to say "Well I can go and search for that ONE tossed piece or I can lay down and indicate which is a guaranteed mega payout" and each time she chose to stay with the article!

After the track we had a nice game of fetch/toss and she calmly trekked back to the car. Happy girl!

Up next:  If I am able to track Monday, will probably just plan to do a quick novel location straight track to work on 'unload and focus'. Then I'm off to London Tues-Sun. Entry sent in for WSDTC 🤞

Comments

  1. Awesome! Did she indicate the final article on the stairstep? I know I don’t need to tell you this, but it makes me feel better….starts next for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts