Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Pocohontas Blind Tracks

Ellen and I met up twice last week (Dec 16 and Dec 20) before the holiday craziness and she laid Evie 2x 2-turn blind tracks.

None of the tracks ran well for a number of reasons but I learned a few things from them:

  • If she's eating it doesn't mean she's on the track - I mistook her eating scat? for eating food on the track. We were in fact NOT on the track.
    • Action item: increase reinforcement on blind tracks
  • When we get off track, her recovery isn't what it needs to be. If we've overshot the first turn, she'll go into party mode and have fun just exploring
    • Action items: 1) Do more dead ends and 2) stair step track
  • New environment was a challenge perhaps ?
    • Action items: Try more novel places with easy track
Three of the starts were good and one was just terrible and I could tell her initial path was off so we went back and restarted. The restart was much stronger.

Videos included below:

Dec 16 Tracks


Dec 20 videos



I was hoping to get the stairstep practice in today before class tomorrow but alas, I have a grant going into NIH and we had some time-sensitive meetings scheduled. More practice this next week for sure!








Comments

Popular Posts