Location: Robious Athletic Fields
Goal: ~Regulation length TD track (Serpentine)
Cover: cut short dry grass
Track layer: Self
Age: 35 min
Weather: 72*, partly cloudy, winds S 7-14mph, humidity 54%
Pattern: Serpentine with 1st 2 legs long.
- Leg 1: S5W30F15 (4 food drops)
- Leg 2: W5 - S5W50F25 (3 food drops)
- Leg 3: W5 - S5W50F25 (1 food drop mid leg)
- Leg 4: W5 - S5W50 - no food
- Leg 5: W5 - S5W50F25 (1 food drop mid leg)
Article: Un-baited bandana at start + un-baited cotton glove at end; Rewarded food from treat bag
Track Map: Estimated 400 yards
Initial plan before I went
Track map with her "meanderings"
I tried out using my GPS watch to follow me (not her meanderings of course) and forgot that it does show speed so you can see how once she got down Leg 2 she was hauling and after taking most turns and an initial slow portion to verify track she was zooming.
3 things that went well:
- Great start - I got her to take water before we approached flag and then she was happy to get going
- BEAUTIFUL finish this time at an un-baited article - was really happy to have her down almost immediately without any cueing from me
- Nice long legs with little casting
3 things to work on:
- First turn was a bit messy today.
Some middle school students crossed all over the 2nd half of Leg 1 just after I laid it and went off diagonally into the woods to go to the climbing gym. This really seemed to throw her today. Evie wanted to go follow their scent to the woods and when I wasn't following, she sat and let out a frustrated yip. I gave her some time to work through the turn and she sat and yipped again. I backed up and offered water (she refused). While she was looking to the woods, I tossed a food drop just after the turn on 2nd leg. When she came back to me, she air scented and then got her nose to work and we finished rest of track well. I know the 1st turn is the most important - today was some information. Will keep an eye on it. Definitely want it sharper - She casted pretty wide on final leg after the turn (she went left and I followed right of the track- hence why the GPS looks like a cut corner).
She ultimately corrected in and got to the article. The wind was picking up a bit but given the high temp and wind coming from South, I'm going to guess that it was just pushing some of the scent North (left of final track). When she was working the final turn (2nd and 3rd turn where dead on and clean), I did offer her some more water and she took it this time as it was pretty warm. This allowed her to reset and she then took the turn. - Continuing working in longer patterns and no food legs.
I didn't see a difference legs - she ate most of the food today but there wasn't a lot on any one leg. You can actually see the 4 food drop stops on the 1st leg color scale :). Her turn after the no food leg wasn't as crisp as Turns 2 & 3 - not sure if it was related to food free leg or just that we had a final leg with cross winds. I chose Leg 4 for food free leg because I wanted her to get a food drop on Leg 3 after doing 2 monster legs.
Next goal: Starts and article track.
I'll be able to track most days over the next 10 days because of fall break so planning to make the most of this week!
Comments
Post a Comment