Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Starts with aging (Oct 22)

I realized I haven't published this drafted post. Practice has been a bit sparse due to illness and travel in the family. Starts and tracks have been going well and I've moved her up to S5W30F15 and she's working well in the 1-2hr range. Below is a session with some details from Oct 22:


Location:  Greenfield Elementary

Cover: short mowed grass, some mulch/acorn piles round the edges

Track layer: Self

Age: 45, 60, and 75 min

Weather: 65* and sunny, mild breeze

Pattern: S5W25F12

Article: Start and End articles (end with cheese inside)

Notes:

She ran each track well and actually showed the most focus and "work mode" on 75min start. She had good initial focus out of the car today and between starts (we had to wait ~15 min each time). During our wait periods, I played engagement ("touch") games and did an "article circle" to down on articles laid out in a big ring. I think this helped keep good engagement and help her focus throughout the session.


Comments

Popular Posts