Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Persistance and Confidence @ Holly Ridge Farm (Nov 11)

 Tracking class day 

Location:  Holly Ridge

Cover: cut field grass

Track layer: Ellen

Age: ~30 min

Weather: 50*, overcast, winds 2mph, high humidity (70%)

Pattern: Legs 1 & 5: S5W30F15; Legs 2-4: S5W50F25

Article: Cheese filled eyeglass case (great object Ellen!)

Track Map: 




Track Video:  


Notes:
  • Very good, confident start
  • Was very happy Ellen led our first leg right past a hay bale - had been curious how Evie may handle it. Evie checked it, immediately went back to work, and then 2 steps later found a food drop (awesome job Ellen!)
  • What worked well:
    • 1st - her drive to work was impressive as always. More on this below
    • At the turn to the 4th leg (about halfway through video above), she told me - then yelled at me-then yelled some more that the track turned left. After several pulls from her, she checked in with me and gave a little whimper. Because we hadn’t passed a turn marking clip, we then tried to get her to go forward but she wasn’t having it. Ellen realized we were in fact at the turn so we backed up and off she went. I sped up this 2 min event at 2x speed and it becomes even clearer all of her looks and pulls. How many did I count? At least 15! I am actually really glad this happened because I wanted to go and in a test, definitely would have! I was really impressed with both her persistence and confidence. Some fun video editing below:


    • No turn zoomies today!
    • New method Judi had me try: with loss of scent, look down at boots and give her 30’ of line before following. I think this was really helpful for both Evie and me!
  • What to work on:
    • Keep the LOS line process
    • Probably should work in some dead ends as we move towards certification and give her small challenges to work through 
    • Scuff/walk pattern at S5W50F25 seemed as strong as the other legs so keep S5W50F25
Note from Judi moving forward for this month - 
  • Weekly training: starts (with 30” min age increments), traditional test track shapes at official lengths incl 1 leg w/o food, duration track of 600 yds w increasing food freq (~200, 375, 475, 550, 600)
  • For starts practice - 4x tracks at 30” inc so 30, 60, 90, 120. 1st start - Walk w no food; 2nd - Scuff/Walk with 1 food drop; 3rd - scuff/walk with scuff in and out of turn w food; 4th - high scuff walk with food
  • Get Evie registered (I lost her papers before we could register )🤦🤦🤦 - I’ve contacted the breeder and we’re working on it.
  • FYI - Mattoponi entries close Nov 30th

Comments

Popular Posts