Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Aged starts (Nov 22)

Today’s training goal was to do aged starts 30-120 min but to move scuff further out a little on 2nd leg

Location: GRES fields
Weather: 57*, light breeze/winds NW 5mph, overcast
Cover: short mowed dry grass, wet soggy ground from rain yesterday (finally!)


Notes:
  • Caught a train on the way back to the field with Evie so tracks got another 5 min of aging on them - no worries!
  • The first 2 tracks (35 and 65 min) looked clean, especially with no food. Great walkup, strong starts and flying. Evie was confident and sassy and had unprompted downs at the start and end articles. 

  • As I was laying Track 3 (90” track), a pair of middle school (?) boys rolled up on bikes to throw lacrosse. They hadn’t started yet and were kind to let me lay the track. I didn’t realize a whole group was arriving and they played a pickup game all.over.the.track for the full 90 min! Stinky boys with stinky feet 🤢. As you can see in the video, she struggled the most on this track and got stuck near the turn for a bit. We worked it together for a few minutes and right as I was getting ready to throw an article down, she caught the second leg and finished beautifully even as a boy came close by on his bike. I am actually a bit grateful (?) this all happened because I think she had great determination to work and together we worked through it with patience and back stepping. Good to practice the hard things!


  • Track #4 was run at 2hr 10am and she did really good again. The turn wasn’t as sharpen as the 30 and 60 min tracks but better than the trampled 90 min track.


  • Unbaited articles are no problem after our article track session the other day. I think I’ll keep them unbaited mostly and will occasionally not feed at start so it isn’t off putting to her at a trial.
  • She had a busy day before tracking including lots of ball time, a run with Dog Dad, and indoor training so I know her poor little brain and body were powering down for the evening. Loved her work today and she enjoyed playing catch with the tennis ball after the final track.
  • Still a lot of progress needed on sharpening up our starts and turns here but I think we're heading in the right direction. 
Up next: I’m thinking we skip article practice and do regulation type TD track with 2 food-free legs run at 60-90 min since indications are working well currently (can reduce frequency of article tracks).


Comments

Popular Posts