After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today. I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods. Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed. She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Sept 30 Class - Holly Ridge Farm
Tracking class day
Location: Holly Ridge
Cover: uncut and cut field grass
Track layer: Pam
Age: ~45 min
Weather: 63*, overcast, winds W 4mph, high humidity (90%)
Pattern: Legs 1 & 3: S5W15F7; Leg 2: S5W20F10
Article: Cheese on leather glove at end (leather glove also at start)
Track Map: I asked Pam to put one turn out in open part of field with any length/pattern of long vs short legs. The 2nd turn was a little acute but not an issue for her. Pam forgot flags at start & 1st turn so it was a somewhat blind track since I could see path in grass. (I'll upload photo of map later). I'd estimate the length to be 150-175 yards.
Track Video:
My favorite parts @ 1:36 & 3:02 when she paused and looked back at me so happy like "You with me? Isn't this the BEST DAY EVER?!?!?!?" She rarely looks back to me so I LOVED this :)
Notes:
Pam warned me that the start article was very close to her walk-out path so I made sure to only step when she started down the correct path. You can tell she picked up the walk-out path as that was her first look but then she took the 1st Leg.
She did not take much of the food drops and saw no difference between the 2 patterns on the legs - can definitely start increasing as appropriate.
What worked well:
Having the cued down at the start appears to be helpful for her to focus at start - will continue this.
Turns at cover change - both turns were at cover change. The first was a little tougher for her - clear LOS and fun run but after I reigned her in she zipped down Leg 2. Gorgeous 2nd turn back into tall grass @ 2:46.
Clear drive - she was MOVING down the legs. Off season trail running with Pup Dad has gotten her STRONG for the field.
What to work on:
For me - keep line shorter during training (<10') and pull in length when she gets the 'runs for funs' esp at turns
She didn't down on the end article this time but clearly stopped. It was her first time out in field grass like this since spring so I'll take this as info for now and monitor. The cheese was put on top of the article so I'm guessing she paused to eat but didn't down on it because she could access the cheese immediately.
Note from Judi moving forward for this month -
Train starts 1/wk or every 2-3 training sessions
Keep line 10' or less for now
Keep S5W20F10 for a few tracks and start moving that out; Same with aging (currently running well at 45-60") so can move age out a bit too this month.
Comments
Post a Comment