After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today. I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods. Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed. She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Sat Mar 11 - Class track, 500yd blind
New place for Evie and first time around horses so I knew these two conditions would give her a new challenge to work through. We ran a 500 yd blind track at ~20 min age with scuff and food.
She was amped to be at class / field as always. Her start wasn’t as crisp as it usually is and she definitely was a bit crazed on the 1st leg (hopping around, sniffing everything new, and sampling fresh spring grass).
The first turn wasn’t extremely clean and I believe she soft indicated it twice while circling before I let her take it (will watch on video when I get it).
On the 2nd leg, she was in the fringe for a bit (whipping wind) and tried to correct but I didn’t go with her initially until Judi told me to take 2 right steps. Per Judi, we just need more blind track practice so that I can see her do this more and know when to let her adjust. She does like being right on the track line. Also, don't turn body once she's committed to a line.
From that fringe correction onward, she was amazing!
I was a bit cautious as the track headed parallel and very close to the brush line on the 5th leg as she can often get investigatory and distracted but she was so good today!! She did step off the track to the woods for a quick potty break and then came right back to work.
The turn at the wood line was in a tricky spot geographically per Judi in post hoc discussion based on a bowl and wind path. Evie gave clear LOS indication and because I was letting her run the line at ~25-30 feet she had a large search path so as she searched, I immediately stepped back 2 big steps after she'd done one circle while reeling her in a little which put her right on the turn and she very confidently took it! Mechanics and process are starting to come together on my end to set her up right.
We got a call out after the final turn that we would likely meet cross tracks from Betty’s track (also laid by Judi about an hour before). I remember that Evie definitely paused and did a sniff Left, sniff Right at what I’m guessing were the cross tracks and she chose to continue forward! I thought that was pretty cool because there wasn’t a huge time difference and it had the same track layer but she could distinguish it (+Betty and Seren?).
Fair article indication at end - she paused at baited glove and I have her a few beats to down independently (no luck) before I gave her a verbal command to Down and Wait while I walked up. I think it would hopefully be enough to pass but still want it clearer and on articles without bait.
Overall, chuffed with her work today :)
HW per Judi: do 2 leg tracks coming straight from car amped up and getting immediately to work, then crate and repeat a few times.
Video from Kelly (thanks!):
Questions:
For a trial, I have a rivet at 20 feet on the long line but sometimes she comes back to me and I reel her in to <20 feet while she circles and then stay still until I feel the rivet pass my fingers again and then I start following. Is this ok by judges or would I have to stay >20 feet always and use backwards walking more to keep the line long enough? When the long line tangles, I'm also guessing it is allowable to call her back to me to grab the line at the snap and then let her run it back out to 20 feet, correct? Just getting in my head about mechanics and thinking through what I need to sharpen on my end too.
I see in the regulations that verbal commands and encouragements are allowed and I'm trying to get her to down independently on the article, but if she did the pause and wait and I commanded the down/"show me" after she has paused so I could walk up, is that allowed or is it considered guiding?
Comments
Post a Comment