Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Feb 10 - aged starts 60-90”

 Today’s goal was to run 3 starts at 60”, 75”, and 90”. I laid the tracks at dusk and by the time I went to run them, it was pitch black which made running them almost like a blind track because it was hard to see double lineup and flags down field but eventually my headlamp would catch the pre-turn flag. 

She stayed on the tracks when tracking but as the age increased I noticed more casting, circling around with full body sniffing to find the track. She ran the 90” track ok ( I’d give her a B as she was ON the track but not as confident as at 60”). I will plan on keeping her at 60-90” for a bit before adding any longer aged tracks. I think she enjoyed this challenge today :) Downs and restarts were much better today so I am happy this is (slowly) moving in the right direction.

Class tomorrow so will discuss where to go next with training - thinking a combo of stair steps one day and aged starts (60-90”) another day.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts