Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Jan 8 - First 3-turn track

Headed out to RAF to lay a longer 3 turn track with our new pattern. I noticed a few flags on my pre-planned track (Maureen and I often see each other in passing there) so I switched my plan so hopefully I didn't lay any cross tracks for River/Duck. I also tossed washers with survey tape so that I wouldn't get flags/lineups mixed up. 

Given the weekend, I planned the track legs to go around the fields in case anyone came to use them (which inevitably ALWAYS happens when I bring Evie down to run the track). Plan was a good one because as soon as I finished laying the track, a large group showed up for some soccer on both fields.

Location: Robious Athletic Fields 

Cover: dead short grass

Time: tracks laid at 10:35am, run at 45 min aged

Track layer: self 

Weather: 38* and very overcast

Track map: 







Notes:
  • She came out of the car very focused and determined as we walked across track to the start. 
  • Leg I started downhill and crossed a 18" concrete trench to enter field. As we came downhill, we paralleled the wood line and she was quite distracted by it and kept wanting to explore. I gave her a little line to explore and then when I called her name, she jumped back to the line and immediately went to work.
  • Soccer games going in both fields drew her interest when we got closer but she always went back to work after watching them for a 5 sec period.
  • Turns were beautiful today and her nose was down for very long, consistent stretches when she was focused. This was my first time laying the new pattern (moved from S10W10F5 to S10W15F7) and didn't notice any behavior change related to longer walk distances.
  • On legs 2 and 4 we paralleled woods again but she was focused on track by that point.
  • Speaking of focus - on final track, there was a grown @$$ man whistling/clicking to get Evie's attention while he was on the field. She kept ignoring him and then finally quickly glanced at him and returned to work immediately like "Not now, dude - I'm working!". His opponent used that as an opportunity to go past him and score a goal and then the whole team ragged on him for being distracted. Gave me a good chuckle :)
  • After we got to the article (and downed!!), I emptied my pockets to make sure I picked up all of my start flag/ washers/ articles. As I started tossing articles on the ground, Evie jumped on one and downed expectantly so we turned it into an impromptu game of article toss/down/treats for a few minutes. She didn't care that a soccer game was 10' behind her one bit and was happy to keep working. 
  • Added a start article today and got her to down at it before running track (verbal command needed).
  • Total track length ~ 345-350 yards.
  • Overall very pleased with her work today!

Comments

  1. You two are both doing great. Give her a couple more tracks at W7, if her behavior is consistent, go to W10, F5.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts