Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Jan 6 - 2 turn Long track + article indication activity

Today we were short on time so I wanted to do 2 focused items: doing a single longer track with 2 turns and doing Betty’s infamous article indication activity to start getting more solid indications.

Location: Robious Athletic Fields 

Cover: dead short grass with some mud

Time: tracks laid at 4:30pm, run at 25 min 

Track layer: self 

Weather: 52*, partly sunny, field fully in shade with sun going down

Track length: (per Google Maps measurements)

  • Leg 1 = 250'
  • Leg 2 = 375'
  • Leg 3 = 125'
  • Total = 750' / 250 yards

Track map:


Notes:
  • Good start and focus from the get-go. She maintained confident tension but did not go wildly down track.
  • I haven’t laid a track across this small trench between the two fields before so I shuffled 3’ before and after trench with food every foot to encourage her to cross concrete trench and keep tracking.
  • Large “drier” mud area in front of goal on Leg 2 which had her casting a bit more in search of track but she was working hard to get the track.
  • Great turns today! She nailed both L 90* and open R turns. It was close to dinner time so the scent pads and food drops were highly consumed today. Scent pads were S10 after turns.
  • She stopped at article but didn’t down until I got to it myself.

Article Activity
  • Scuffed a straight track and dropped 10 articles, each 5-10 yards apart.
  • Articles were mostly cloth items we have tracked with before (gloves, mittens, washcloths, cloth toys) plus 2 non-cloth articles she had only seen once before a while ago (plastic measuring spoon, 1” wide paintbrush). Non cloth articles were 7th and 9th in the order.
  • Ran “track” 3x
Notes:
  • First time through: She stopped at first few articles but I had to tell her to down and then placed cheese on top of article. She didn’t indicate non cloth articles but I didn’t let her continue and showed her the article and told her down, put cheese on top after she downed, and repeated again before going to next article.
  • Second time through: She stopped at first few articles, I waited her out and she downed on her own and gave the cheese on top of the article. Progress! For the non-cloth articles, she still didn’t want to indicate initially but I waited her out and she finally downed on them. Progress!
  • Third/final time through: She knew the game and immediately downed on cloth articles! For several, she stayed on the article and actually waited for a release (“ok”) to leave it and move to next one. For non-cloth, she indicated them ( stopped and held a look on it) but I had to wait her out to down or tell her to down. Not as good as the cloth article behavior but a giant step forward on all fronts! 
  • I had pre-planned to do no more than 3 times through and definitely didn’t want to overdo this activity so we stopped here.
  • Will definitely try to do this more often! It was almost more of a game than training and saw some major progress in a short focused session :)

Comments

Popular Posts