Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Jan 16 - An off day

After her last big, difficult track I wanted to set her up for some fun success today with 2x 2-turn tracks with open turns.

Location: Robious Athletic Complex

Cover: Short dead grass

Time: tracks laid at ~10:30am, run at 45 min aged

Track layer: self 

Weather: 50* and mostly sunny, light breeze

Pattern: S10W15F7, S10 up to turn, S15 after to scent pad

Track Map:


Notes:

  • Track 1 was ~210 yd and Track 2 was ~280 yd. Put down start articles again today.
  • Today was just a bonkers off day I think. Evie was extremely "bird happy" and stopped every 15 steps or so to bird watch. She wasn't as excited to go back to work when I called her back each time. 
  • The end article for Track 1 was in the brush line at edge of field but I didn't notice the trash bag caught in limbs ~10' behind it. Evie definitely noticed it about 20' from article, spooked/jumped, and then was very skittish and protectively barked at it. I threw down the start article with cheese on top just in front of me and called her back to me and she downed on the start article and we called that track done-zo.
  • Track 2 was more of the same with bird distractions. She could spend 30-60 sec just watching birds and then would go back to track and be right on the line. Nice auto down on end article.
  • She skipped over all of the scent pads on Track 1 but enjoyed them on Track 2. It was hard to tell her turn behavior today because they were also points were she'd start bird watching.
Next time out, will do even shorter 2 turn tracks and see if we can have a better day before I go back to a longer or 3 turn track.

Comments

Popular Posts