Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Dec 30 - Working through Challenges

I wanted to take advantage of the *beautiful* weather this afternoon so we did a quick focused session nearby.

Location: Robious Athletic Fields 

Field: Dead short grass, ground was soft/muddy

Temp: 60 with some SW breezes at 9mph and sunny

Time: Tracks laid at 2, ran at 2:30

Track layer= me with video assist from D

Track maps:




Plan: Today’s plan was to run some 90* tracks L and R and also a straight track since it’s been a bit. T1 was a short/long with 90* R, T2 was a long/short with 90* L, and T3 was ~90yd straight track. Kept scent pad at S15 after the turn. Ran tracks with double leash (10’ together).

Notes

  • On T1, she had more pull than yesterday and she NAILED the turn! At a point on leg 2, she got distracted by a nearby soccer player. I gave her some time but then pulled her in, pointed to the ground, and she went onward. Then out of nowhere, a loose dog charged us and spooked Evie. After I shooed it off, we were both flustered but then Evie went right back to work without any prompts! I was really happy about that.
  • On T2, I realized the loose dog had been running all over the track and ate most of the food drops. Evie took the 90* L turn well initially but then circled a few times. Then something clicked into place and she went right down Leg 2. She went all the way to the track end for us to find no article and just a few cheese bites that had been dropped out of the mitten (assuming the loose dog ate it!). I gave her lots of praise and walked on towards next field when I realized I missed an opportunity to throw down an extra article from my pocket when we had gotten to the article spot. Really kicking myself for that! New challenge- will have a plan now for next time.
  • On to T3 - was really glad I had set up an easy straight track to end on given the challenges incurred on T1 and T2. Some good luck for once. She plodded along pretty consistently and finished well. Need to continue working on article indicating- she definitely stops and waits but I would like a clear auto-down or retrieve.
  • Videos below - esp pretty turn on T1!
T1:

T2:


T3:



Comments

Popular Posts