Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Dec 21 - Copy/Paste

Ran same plan copy/paste as yesterday on different fields at Robious.

Field: dead short grass in soccer field. Frosty terrain that was becoming dewy as the sun was warning the fields. Used infield of track and field 1 today. 

Temp: 28*, winds 2mph NE

Time: 9:45am, tracks run at ~20'

Track layer= me with a video assist from the 7yo

Plan: 5x S10W5F5 - right turn - S5 - scent pad - S10 - article. T1 and T3 open R turns, T2 as a 90* turn.

Notes

  • Really great starts and focus today. She was more jumpy/cast on first leg of T1 but settled down into a very purposeful, focused track gait thereafter.
  • I remembered to not go past the turn indication flag and let it the line for her to get no further then the turn. This definitely allowed her to focus on LOS and be more confident in turns.
  • Scent pads- she stopped and ate on T1 and T2 but skipped right over it on T3 and instead went on track to the article (yay!)
  • I laid a leaf at T2 corner and it didn't move so was able to really make sure she got the corner nicely.
  • Several times in T3 she did "investigations" just off track early in first leg. Actually saw Maureen laying a track there yesterday as we wrapped so I think she was observing an old cross track perhaps. Each time she went back to work nicely.
  • On T1, the wind was bringing the second leg scent towards us and she started to move to the article well ahead of the turn but her head was high and I wouldn't budge. She got frustrated and sat but I got her to rescent and move forward.
  • Clear stop at article each time - nuzzled article and downed as I approached. She's definitely connecting that the jackpot doesn't happen until she's in a down.
  • As a track layer, I'm getting better about looking ahead for double ups near a turn and on T3 had the turn at a clear lineup (light pole beside me). 

Overall very happy with our outing this morning. Track videos below. 

T1: 


T2: 


T3:




Comments

Popular Posts