Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Dec 17 - Solo practice & then Class

 Dec 17 

7am Solo practice:

I ran a few short 2 leg tracks with L turns at Robious Athletic Fields prior to heading out to class. The first legs were shorter than normal (3 units of S10W5F3 with S10 into and out of the corner, S10F3 out of the corner). Unlike last training session where she was on the rails and turned so well, this time she overshot 2 of the turns. I held at the corner and she was able to come back and found turns each time.

In retrospect, I've been thinking of how this practice went so different from last and I identified a few things likely at play. First, it was first thing in the morning so she wasn't quite as tired as the mid morning session Wednesday. Second, (it took me a few days of mental replays to get this - I was really perplexed and kept thinking on it) - on Wed I had stopped at the flag 3-5' from corner and let out the line so she was limited to not going further than the turn, thus she looked side to side / had smaller radius. On Sunday, I had walked up to the corner itself, allowing her to overrun it given her speed. Bingo! On a blind track, the later is more likely to happen so I need to walk back, holding orientation when this happens.


~9am @ Judi's Field:

We ran our first blind track and our first 3 leg track. Ralph put in a 3 leg turn (I believe they were L-R open turns) with S10W10F5. Track was run pretty fresh. She had a great start and was hard on the rails for each of the legs but overshot both corners. It was clear she had lost the scent but because it was overshot so far, we had trouble finding the corner on our own. When I was directed to walk back or side step, she always corrected back to it - I'll have to remember to just step back when practicing solo with her. I was also happy with how she gave a clear indication of article by stopping and turning sideways. Obviously we need to continue working on downing, but I could tell she was at the article when I didn't know where it was myself. Very fun to do a blind track - had to stay 10000% focused on her - and will try to get a partner with me over winter break to try again!

HW from Judi: Let's build confidence in turns by S5 out of turn then scuffing a 2' diameter scent pad with lots of treats scattered before continuing 2nd leg. For 3 tracks, do first open, second 90, third open. Hold there, play with leg lengths (first short, second long or first long, second short or both short or both long). 




Comments

Popular Posts