Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Dec 14 - A very good morning!

My class has a final exam this evening so I took some time this morning to take Evie out tracking in daylight - a rarity on weekdays. We went back to Robious Athletic Fields and boy am I kicking myself for not getting out the tripod!

Time: 7:40am tracks laid by me, ~8am tracks run

Field: dead short grass with frost

Weather: 31*, no winds

Plan: 3 two-leg tracks with R turns. Go 5x, 6x, and 7x units on first leg (unit = S10W5F3) with scuff to and out of turn all the way to article (~S10F3).



Notes from tracks:

  • T1: A bit of casting on first half of first leg and then she zeroed in and was super focused/on top of the frost tracks. I gave her extra line at the flag ~S5 from corner and she hit the corner, lifted her head (loss of scent) and then BOLTED right with confidence. SO GOOD! Gave me a boost after a mediocre last outing.
  • T2: Laser focus on first leg. We got to the corner and she definitely indicated loss of scent - looked around a bit, circled, sniffed left and then BOOM - went hard on the R turn and down the 2nd leg. 
  • T3: A little note first. I know we were supposed to do all 3 R turns and next session move to 3 L turns but as I laid this final track, I misjudged my runway length and got to the corner and if I had gone R, would have done a cross track with T1. So I made the choice to give her a L turn and carried an extra article/treats if needed. She tracked beautifully down the first leg and then just like at the corner on T1, lifted her head, put her nose down and BOLTED again to the left. She didn't even try to turn R. 
Proud pup mom today! She ate about half of the food drops - some she stopped and circled back to sniff and then kept tracking - definitely looking for the jackpot at the end. The scuff/walk pattern seems to be working well still. We'll do 3x L turn two-leg tracks next outing. 

Comments

Popular Posts