Skip to main content

Featured

11/29/25 - Woods bounce-offs and parallels

After her strong interest to go into vs away from woods last class day, I asked Mary Ann to lay a track that parallels woods and does bounce-offs from woods. Mary Ann nailed the assignment (and shout out to Kelley who co-laid and was MVP for double lineups!). We ran the track at 1hr 15min old. Notes - what went well: Great start and 1st turn on the rails! Her article indications were really nice today.  I think our slowed down routine at articles is slowing her down and keeping energy / excitement from running wild. She feels more measured at restarts now. Turns - She was really clear to read on all with the exception of the last turn. In reviewing video, she gave a head turn at the final turn before going forward a little and then looking at woods.  Line work was good today - getting back up the line quickly + a behind the back line work on the final turn - felt like I supported her well when she committed.  She drank well before start and at articles Notes - To work on:...

Week 3 - Nov 6- JRHS

Goals for today:
  1. Work on article indication by assisting downs while she eats jackpots
  2. Lengthen max run to S50F2
Setup:
  • Location: JV practice field behind JRHS
  • Field: short mowed dry grass
  • Weather: 81*, winds S 8 mph with gusts
  • TL: me
  • Time: TL @ 1:35, TR @ 1:50 (15’)
  • Tracks: T1 - S30F2, T2 - S40F2, T3 - S50F2 with cheese on track and kibble jackpot on/under articles
  • Articles: squeaky donut toy, washcloth, fabric face mask
Notes from runs:
  • With gusts today, I saw more casting but she stayed w/in ~18-24” of center. When she got off Line, she was quick to adjust back - just more side to side today on T1 and T2.
  • During T3, we were going into breeze and she noticeably was more on top of line and though slower, was confident. At ~5yds from end of the longest track, the wind stopped and she popped her head up like “wait, shouldn’t we be done by this length?” I gave her verbal encouragement (“Go find it!”) and she went right back to work and finished it.
  • At each article, she let me assist her gently into a down while she ate the kibble. Each time she ate about 1/2-2/3 of the jackpot and then wanted to go back to work.
  • She wouldn’t take water before or during runs on this warm day but did drink at car at end. Next time, I’ll bring ice (she loves!) to add to water to entice drinking better.
  • Coolest part of the day - at the car, I gave her water in her bowl. After she drank, she walked back behind me ~5 ft which confused me until I turned around and saw her nudging the washcloth article that had somehow fallen out of my pocket!!  Big party and treats immediately. 
Next time out:
  • I want to do an article indication practice this week like in Sandy Ganz book with ~8-10 articles. May be good for a busy weeknight where we could head out front and run it quickly.
  • Given hesitancy at end of T3, I’ll keep max length S50 next time out.

Comments

  1. Excellent! And excellent plan--let her tell you when the tracks can be longer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts